Post Secondary Options


Students only need standardized test scores if they are planning to apply to a university right out of high school. If a student is planning to go to community college first, then they do not need to take the ACT or SAT while still in high school. As long as a student completes an associate’s degree at a community college, they are not required to take a standardized college aptitude test. The reason that universities require ACT or SAT scores is because they are one factor used to determine whether or not a student will be successful at the university level. Some universities also may not require a test score for admissions, but will require it for scholarship eligibility. ASU and U of A both fall into this category.

Recommendations for taking the ACT or SAT vary depending on the student’s long term goals. For most students, it is recommended that they take the ACT or SAT for the first time during the middle of their junior year. This ensures that they get exposure to important course content, but it also ensures that they have time to retake it if necessary. If a student is not planning to apply to a university right after high school, then it is not recommend that he or she take the ACT or SAT.

The ACT is generally recommended for New Way students for a few different reasons. The first is that the ACT is shorter than the SAT, which usually bodes well for New Way’s students. Typically, the test is recommended for quick workers, but extended time is an available accommodation that usually allows students enough time to get through the whole assessment. Because the ACT is more curriculum oriented than the SAT, the questions tend to be more knowledge based and straightforward. In addition, the writing portion is optional, which for some students is a great option. The SAT can be more appropriate for some students though, depending on their learning profile.

There are several accommodations that students can apply for with appropriate documentation. Documentation typically includes psychoeducational evaluation results and the current IEP. Depending on which assessment the student decides to take, the process for requesting accommodations varies. Staff at New Way is available to counsel students through the process and assist with the paperwork aspect of requesting accommodations. 
Here is a link that summarizes available accommodations for both tests: 

Your Accommodations

When a student transitions into a college, university, or vocational school, they are able to receive academic accommodations. These accommodations are meant to “even the playing field” for a student with a disability so that they are able to access the information provided in college and demonstrate their knowledge without being slighted because of their learning difference.

Common post-secondary accommodations include:

Note Taker
Digital Recorder/ Note Taking Technology with Audio Recording
FM Listening System
Test Accommodations: 1 & 1/2 time, double time, large print, reader, scribe
Alternate Format (Example: Audio recording of book)

In order to receive accommodations at the post- secondary level, students  typically need adult scale psychoeducational testing. This testing looks at a student’s cognitive abilities, academic achievement, and will assess other areas (such as attention and focus) as necessary. The IEP and TAP documents that a student has will act as supporting documentation to the student’s formal documentation. Each college has a disability resource and services office that acts as the primary contact for students. The personnel in this office will review the student’s paperwork and determine the appropriate accommodations. It is important to note that at most schools, the student is responsible for notifying their professor of the accommodations that they receive.
For more information, please see the following articles: